Despite the concerns surrounding Newton’s health, he is a worthwhile gamble for the Raiders. The team has a stale quarterback room during a critical move to Vegas.
More from Golden Gate Sports
- Raiders: Rookie stock report following Week 3 performance
- 49ers sign new long snapper amidst a flurry of roster moves
- Oakland Athletics win Game 2 of Wild Card round with late-inning drama
- 49ers: George Kittle and Deebo Samuel cleared to return to practice
- 49ers expected to place DE Dee Ford on injured reserve
While Carr and Mariota are both decent options, neither have proven to have the ability to be difference makers when it matters most. Additionally, neither will be exciting options for a franchise seeking to build a connection with a new fan base.
The Raiders also have the ugly reality of competing with former NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion Patrick Mahomes and his Kansas City Chiefs. The Los Angeles Chargers are also expected to add a top prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft.
The Raiders cannot seriously hope to compete for consistent AFC West relevance as currently constituted.
They need more firepower. They need Cam Newton.