Bay Area Buzz 11/20: Pablo Sandoval, Ahmad Brooks, Rudy Gay


Bay Area Topics

Pablo Sandoval

"Gordon Edes of, who covers the Red Sox, just tweeted that Pablo Sandoval’s meet-and-greet in Boston ended today without the Panda getting an offer. He quoted Sandoval’s brother and co-agent, Michael as saying Sandoval was expecting one, however.Sandoval’s principal agent, Gustavo Vazquez, was expected to chat with the Giants today amid one report that Sandoval has already made up his mind to leave.Channel 5 news director Dennis O’Donnell reported on the KPIX website, based on sources, that Sandoval never really intended to re-sign with the Giants and that it was 90 percent certain he will go to Boston. The other 10 percent is Toronto.However, a Giants source said one important facet of O’Donnell’s report was inaccurate. O’Donnell said that Sandoval countered the Giants’ five-year, $90 million offer with a seven-year demand. The Giants source told The Chronicle that Sandoval had made no request for seven years."

Henry Schulman, San Francisco Chronicle

Ahmad Brooks

"Ahmad Brooks might not have clocked out early Sunday, but he’s still not a strong candidate to be named employee of the month.On Wednesday, the 49ers’ outside linebacker spoke publicly for the first time since he didn’t play in the second half of a 16-10 win over the Giants. What happened? Brooks said he yelled at defensive line coach Jim Tomsula over his playing time earlier in the game and was benched. It had been reported that Brooks removed himself from the game.“It was an emotional reaction during a game,” Brooks said. “I reacted out of my character. I did not quit on the team. I did not take myself out of the game, but words that were said by me obviously couldn’t be taken back. So they decided to not put me back in the game. We’re moving forward as a team.”Indeed, on Wednesday, it appeared the healing was under way. Brooks, who declined to say if he was fined, said he apologized to Tomsula and his teammates. Head coach Jim Harbaugh, who has preached a team-first mantra since his arrival in 2011, backed Brooks."

Eric Branch, San Francisco Chronicle

Rudy Gay

"The Kings and Rudy Gay made it official at a press conference Wednesday, formally announcing a three-year contract extension estimated to be worth $40 million.The contract also comes with a player option for 2017-18.Gay, along with another All-Star caliber player in DeMarcus Cousins, serve as bookends of the turnaround that owner Vivek Ranadive hopes to complete in California’s capital city.“The first thing I did (when he bought the team) was call Petey (Kings GM Pete D’Alessandro) and said, ‘Get us Rudy Gay,'” said Ranadive.D’Alessandro delivered by orchestrating a deal with Toronto last December, granting the owner his wish.…“Since the first day I walked in, I felt the love from the fans…Sacramento has some of the best fans I’ve ever been around. To be here for three more years to play for them is an honor,” said Gay, demonstrating his appreciation."

Bill Herenda, CSN Bay Area