With the MLB All-Star festivities over, it’s time for the one of the few days of the year where the only sports-related event in the nation is an awards show.
Yes, the ESPYS will be taking place Wednesday night at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, and the brightest stars in the world of sports will be on hand to receive recognition for their accomplishments over the past year.
The Bay Area has seen no shortage of success in recent memory, and they are well represented at the ESPYS.
Here are the categories that include nominees from the bay:
- Four-time Olympic gold medalist and California Golden Bear Missy Franklin is nominated for Female Athlete of the Year and Best Female US Olympian
- The defending World Series champion San Francisco Giants are nominated for Best Team
- Reigning National League MVP award winner and Comeback Player of the Year award winner San Francisco Giant Buster Posey is nominated for Best Comeback and Best MLB Player
- San Francisco Giants third baseman and reigning World Series MVP Pablo Sandoval is nominated for Best Championship Performance
- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is nominated for Best Breakthrough Athlete
- San Jose Earthquakes striker and reigning MLS MVP award winner Chris Wondolowski is nominated for Best MLS Player