The San Francisco Giants are probably happy to be home. They took three of four from the Chicago Cubs on the road trip, but got swept by the Milwaukee Brewers thanks to three weak starting pitching performances.
The Giants’ best pitcher this year has easily been Madison Bumgarner, who will take the ball tonight. Bumgarner has a 1.77 ERA in three starts, and also has only allowed 13 hits in 20.1 innings. He leads Giants starters in ERA–by a lot.
Bumgarner will oppose the San Diego Padres, who were on the better side of the sweep against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Bumgarner has a career 3.48 ERA in 13 games (12 starts) against the Padres. Although, last year, he posted a 3-1 record with a 3.86 ERA in five starts.
Bumgarner will be opposed by Edinson Volquez, who has struggled in 2013, compiling an 11.68 ERA in three starts. He gave up six earned runs to the Colorado Rockies in his last start, and six earned runs against the New York Mets in his season debut. His best start surprisingly came at Coors Field where he managed to limit the Rockies to just four runs.
Volquez has struggled against the Giants in his six career starts against them. The low sample size might be deceiving, but he has a 5.40 ERA in those six starts.
- The Giants are 7-1 this year when they score first. When their opponent scores first, they’re 2-6.
- Brandon Crawford has a 14-game hitting streak
- Giants starters have totaled just seven quality starts in 16 games this year
- Giants starters had a 6.92 ERA on their latest road trip to Chicago and Milwuake
- Chase Headley has two career home runs against Bumgarner in 26 at-bats
- Chris Denorfia is third in the National League in WAR