Dec 18, 2011; Oakland, CA, USA; Oakland Raiders middle linebacker Rolando McClain (55) warms up before the game against the Detroit Lions at O.co Coliseum. Detroit defeated Oakland 28-27. Mandatory Credit: Jason O. Watson-USA TODAY Sports

NFL Free Agency: Rolando McClain Signs One-Year Deal With Ravens

Former Oakland Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain has signed a one-year deal worth $700,000 with the Baltimore Ravens, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network. 

Several teams were interested in signing McClain, who was waived by the Raiders last week, but the Ravens were considered the favorites.

“It’s a move that can’t go wrong and I’m looking forward to playing in Baltimore, as the Ravens run the same or very similar defense as I was a part of at the University of Alabama,” McClain said to the Madison Weekly News.

The eighth pick of the 2010 NFL Draft, McClain was once touted as the future centerpiece of the Raiders’ defense. To say the least, he has failed to reach up to those expectations. His career stats are rather unimpressive: 173 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and one interception in three full seasons.

“I’d like to thank the Raiders for giving me an opportunity to play in the NFL,” McClain said in a statement. “I’m disappointed that it hasn’t worked out better, but I’m very excited and thankful for the Raiders allowing me to get a fresh start. I will miss my teammates and wish them and the Raiders organization good luck going forward.”

Off the field, McClain has been involved in several incidents. He was arrested last November for allegedly threatening to kill a man and firing a gun beside the man’s ear in Alabama. Last January, a car that McClain was driving was shot at, but nobody was hurt.

Bottom line, nobody will disappointed that he has left the Raiders for good.

Tags: 2013 NFL Free Agency Baltimore Ravens Oakland Raiders Rolando McClain

comments powered by Disqus