The Giants tough opening week schedule will come to a close on Sunday.
After taking two of three from the Dodgers earlier in the week, they will look to do the same against the Cardinals in the rubber match of this three-game series.
But there won’t be a lack of pre-game distractions. The Giants will receive their 2012 World Series rings prior to the game, and they will sport gold jerseys throughout the game–they can wear the gold jerseys only once this year.
Though if there’s one pitcher that can flush the pre-game chaos, it’s Matt Cain, who will take the ball for the second time this season. In his first start against the Dodgers on Monday, he was out-dueled by Clayton Kershaw. Still, six scoreless innings along with eight strikeouts isn’t too shabby. A 29-pitch first inning doomed him of going deeper into the game.
Cain will be making his ninth career start against the Cardinals on Sunday. In eight previous regular season starts, he’s 2-3 with a 4.94 ERA, and in last year’s postseason, he went 1-1 with a 1.29 ERA, including the Game 7 NLCS win.
Cain will be opposed by Cardinals’ ace, Adam Wainwright, who will also be making his second start of the season. The right-hander signed a five-year, $97 million extension on March 28, the largest deal ever by a Cardinals pitcher.
Wainwright pitched Monday against the Diamondbacks, a game in which he allowed three earned runs on 11 hits and six strikeouts. In five career games (four starts) at AT&T Park, Wainwright is 1-4 with 4.11 ERA. For his career, he’s 2-4 against the Giants with a 3.01 ERA in eight games (six starts).
- Hunter Pence is a career .289 (11-for-38) hitter with one home run against Wainwright
- Carlos Beltran in a career .389 (7-for-18) hitter with one home runs and five RBI against Cain
- Matt Carpenter and Jon Jay are a combined 8-for-10 off Cain in their careers
- Matt Holliday owns three home runs off Cain in 40 career at-bats
- Brandon Belt has yet to record a hit this year
- In five games this year, the Giants have combined to go 2-for-21 (.095) with runners in scoring position