On Tuesday, Hunter Pence was at AT&T Park promoting MLB 13 The Show, but he did engage with reporters about his future with the San Francisco Giants beyond 2013.
Pence and the Giants agreed on a one-year, $13.8 million contract last week to avoid arbiration. He made $10.4 million last season.
However, there’s been no talk of a long-term deal between the Giants and Pence’s brass. At least according to Pence, that is.
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, Pence said that there was never any talk of a multi-year deal. But, he’s open to discuss a deal that would keep him in San Francisco for the forseeable future.
“If they want to talk about that, I’d definitely be willing to listen,” Pence told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I’m not opposed to that at all. I want to be here.”
Pence hit .219 and totaled 45 RBIs in 59 regular season games with the Giants last season. His clubhouse leadership in the playoffs voided some of his offensive woes, though.